The sun’s refection bounces off the iced-over lake and warms my face. Any minute now, Buddy and Princess will pull up with their partners. I have tiny butterflies in my stomach. It’s the anticipation of family time. The Consultant and I will enjoy our afternoon with them.
We will spend some time outdoors, today. There’ll be skating and ice sailing. Back at the cabin, we’ll gather around the table to chatter and share favourite snacks – chicken wings, smoked turkey, buns, fresh veggies and dip.
I know ours is just like many others but I still want to believe my family is unique.
Our Family –
- is not afraid to express our thoughts and opinions
- sees and hears each other
- validates each other as individuals
- supports each other’s dreams
- buoys each other up through challenging times
- recognizes each other’s strengths and weaknesses
- dances together at weddings
- sings at the dinner table
- celebrates and cries together
- hugs freely
- laughs often
- misses each other when apart
- loves each other unconditionally.
To me that’s all pretty special.
Tell us about the family you live in.