Around here –
- Fog rests on the lake I see each morning,
- a late sunrise brightens only the treetops and bleaches the waves of Lesser Slave Lake to a glow,
- the caw of a lone crow echoes,
- and the humming bird feeder swings idle.
- When the sun shines on the tree out front it turns shocking yellow.
- Our sun umbrella is wrapped up tight,
- yet we hope for enough warmth to play golf one more time.
- A can of bear deterrent sits beside the vitamin D on the table beside the window,
- a healthy, young coyote trots along the edge of the tree stand and carries straight on to the beach,
- a barn cat or two curl up on the prickly mat outside our door wondering what it would be like to come in,
- and the buffalo lie settled in the dry field nearby.
- The cabin smells of comfort – robust, tomatoey minestrone soup.
- What’s going on around the North Shore Homestead? Fall has arrived,
- and my next trip home to Calgary will be the final drive this season.
What’s going on where you are? I’d love to hear.